Stimulating Forum Growth?

Have a question about the site? Found a bug? Have any suggestions? Post your issues, questions, and ideas in this forum.

Dox47
Disabilities: Asperger's Syndrome, various co morbid disorders (insomnia, depression, etc)

Stimulating Forum Growth?

Postby Dox47 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:17 pm

So I really like what I'm seeing here as a forum concept and guiding philosophy, but it doesn't appear that there's all that much activity going on here, so I spend most of my time at other AS forums that I may not like as much, but that are more active. I was wondering what if anything was being done to attract more members and to stimulate posting, since I could probably offer a few pointers and/or try to get some discussions going if I felt it was welcome to do so. I can come on pretty strong when I get the bit between my teeth, so I've learned to make sure I'm not stepping on any toes before I just do things. Plus, if anyone else has any thoughts or ideas I'd be interested in hearing them.
The Square Peg Social Club - Where nobody fits in:

http://www.meetup.com/Squarepegs/

alin0s
Site Admin
Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Re: Stimulating Forum Growth?

Postby alin0s » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:40 pm

right now i rely on word of mouth from members to other people and "viral" marketing like through links on posts on other forums. and my site. and facebook.

btw dox thanks for asking if you can market the website. I feel quite respected for that.

I grant you full permission to market the website and use its logo in your marketing material

This goes and applies for anyone looking to promote my website. (trying to demote my website... dont use my logo.. CAPICHE!?)

<joke above in the parentheses>
check out my website at http://www.alinssite.info

Dox47
Disabilities: Asperger's Syndrome, various co morbid disorders (insomnia, depression, etc)

Postby Dox47 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:04 am

alin0s wrote:right now i rely on word of mouth from members to other people and "viral" marketing like through links on posts on other forums. and my site. and facebook.

btw dox thanks for asking if you can market the website. I feel quite respected for that.

I grant you full permission to market the website and use its logo in your marketing material

This goes and applies for anyone looking to promote my website. (trying to demote my website... dont use my logo.. CAPICHE!?)

<joke above in the parentheses>

Aye aye, cap'n!

To start with I've got a meetup group that I co-founded (link is in my sig) that's actually getting big enough that I'm franchising subchapters out; I've never been fully comfortable referring my members to most of the existing AS discussion forums, so I'll throw up the links and whatnot to send them here tonight. I'll also feel out some of the other group leaders I'm in contact with about it, I really like the idea of linking up AS meetup groups together in such a way that things like mass events could be planned, almost like Scout Jamborees. We'll see how that goes, my experience with meetup and Aspies is that it takes a little bit for a critical mass to build before things really start moving.

alin0s
Site Admin
Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Postby alin0s » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:10 am

so then i assume squarepegs is not a competition forum to me for a while i thought it was a competing community i was about to ask you to remove it from your sig LOL

Dox47

Postby Dox47 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:56 am

alin0s wrote:so then i assume squarepegs is not a competition forum to me for a while i thought it was a competing community i was about to ask you to remove it from your sig LOL

No worries, just a local AS support group I put together through Meetup. We have a discussion section, but it's pretty sad, mostly just batting around ideas for things to do with the group. It is pretty cool to have a tool for actually meeting lots of local Aspies, I was at one of our meetings last night with about 25 members, the shear breadth of what all was being discussed was pretty amazing.

I'm actually right in the middle of putting Disabled Planet in as a sponsor (doesn't actually obligate you to anything, it's just how I have to work with the meetup software) which will let me put a banner link on our homepage. The timing actually works out really well, I was just putting together a member user name and and site registry for people in my group to use to keep in touch across different forums.

alin0s
Site Admin

Postby alin0s » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:06 am

Dox47 wrote:
alin0s wrote:so then i assume squarepegs is not a competition forum to me for a while i thought it was a competing community i was about to ask you to remove it from your sig LOL

No worries, just a local AS support group I put together through Meetup. We have a discussion section, but it's pretty sad, mostly just batting around ideas for things to do with the group. It is pretty cool to have a tool for actually meeting lots of local Aspies, I was at one of our meetings last night with about 25 members, the shear breadth of what all was being discussed was pretty amazing.

I'm actually right in the middle of putting Disabled Planet in as a sponsor (doesn't actually obligate you to anything, it's just how I have to work with the meetup software) which will let me put a banner link on our homepage. The timing actually works out really well, I was just putting together a member user name and and site registry for people in my group to use to keep in touch across different forums.

not to brag about our forums safety and monitored-ness but I think we should be your sole community sponsor :P :xD:

makuranososhi
Site Admin
Disabilities: ASD - Asperger's Syndrome (comorbids; insomnia, severe depression, loose joints, environmental sensitivities, GI issues)

Postby makuranososhi » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:38 pm

The URL is challenging, at least in some regards; is there a way to set-up a simple address that would function as a pointer to here?
M.

He thrusts his fists against the posts, but still insists he sees the ghosts.
From my heart and from my hand, why can't people understand my intentions?
Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.
http://autisocial.freeforums.org

alin0s
Site Admin

Postby alin0s » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:39 pm

makuranososhi wrote:The URL is challenging, at least in some regards; is there a way to set-up a simple address that would function as a pointer to here?

you would have to buy a domain name and CNAM it to here

Return to “DisabledPlanet.net discussion”