Common sleep disorders

Talk about anything that has at least something to do with Neurological Disabilities not covered by a sub-forum below.

Want a certain disability to have its own forum?
Contact alin0s to make the request, a vote will then be held with all of the members

deathchibi

Common sleep disorders

Postby deathchibi » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:28 am

Common sleep disorders
The most common sleep disorders include:

Bruxism: Involuntarily grinding or clenching of the teeth while sleeping
Delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS): inability to awaken and fall asleep at socially acceptable times but no problem with sleep maintenance, a disorder of circadian rhythms. Other such disorders are advanced sleep phase syndrome (ASPS) and Non-24-hour sleep-wake syndrome (Non-24), both much less common than DSPS.
Hypopnea syndrome: Abnormally shallow breathing or slow respiratory rate while sleeping
Narcolepsy: The condition of falling asleep spontaneously and unwillingly at inappropriate times
Night terror, Pavor nocturnus, sleep terror disorder: abrupt awakening from sleep with behavior consistent with terror
Parasomnias: Include a variety of disruptive sleep-related events
Periodic limb movement disorder (PLMD): Sudden involuntary movement of arms and/or legs during sleep, for example kicking the legs. Also known as nocturnal myoclonus. See also Hypnic jerk, which is not a disorder.
Rapid eye movement behavior disorder (RBD): Acting out violent or dramatic dreams while in REM sleep
Restless legs syndrome (RLS): An irresistible urge to move legs. RLS sufferers often also have PLMD.
Situational circadian rhythm sleep disorders: shift work sleep disorder (SWSD) and jet lag
Obstructive sleep apnea: Obstruction of the airway during sleep, causing lack of sufficient deep sleep; often accompanied by snoring. Central sleep apnea is less common.
Sleep paralysis is characterized by temporary paralysis of the body shortly before or after sleep. Sleep paralysis may be accompanied by visual, auditory or tactile hallucinations. Not a disorder unless severe.
Sleepwalking or somnambulism: Engaging in activities that are normally associated with wakefulness (such as eating or dressing), which may include walking, without the conscious knowledge of the subject

Broad classifications of sleep disorders
Dysomnias - A broad category of sleep disorders characterized by either hypersomnolence or insomnia. The three major subcategories include intrinsic (i.e., arising from within the body), extrinsic (secondary to environmental conditions or various pathologic conditions), and disturbances of circadian rhythm. MeSH
Insomnia
Narcolepsy
Obstructive sleep apnea
Restless leg syndrome
Periodic limb movement disorder
Hypersomnia
Recurrent hypersomnia - including Kleine-Levin syndrome
Posttraumatic hypersomnia
"Healthy" hypersomnia
Circadian rhythm sleep disorders
Delayed sleep phase syndrome
Advanced sleep phase syndrome
Non-24-hour sleep-wake syndrome
Parasomnias
REM sleep behaviour disorder
Sleep terror
Sleepwalking (or somnambulism)
Bruxism (Tooth-grinding)
Bedwetting or sleep enuresis.
Sudden infant death syndrome (or SIDS)
Sleep talking (or somniloquy)
Sleep sex (or sexsomnia)
Exploding head syndrome - Waking up in the night hearing loud noises.

Medical or Psychiatric Conditions that may produce sleep disorders
Psychoses (such as Schizophrenia)
Mood disorders
Depression
Anxiety
Panic
Alcoholism
Sleeping sickness - a parasitic disease which can be transmitted by the Tsetse fly
Snoring - Not a disorder in and of itself, but it can be a symptom of deeper problems.

if you have one tell us okay? :D
i have delayed sleep phase syndrome, insomnia, PLMD :evil:

alin0s
Site Admin
Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Re: Common sleep disorders

Postby alin0s » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:03 pm

Sleep Sex syndrome, that one made me laugh.

I have seizures and pain problems.
check out my website at http://www.alinssite.info

Botti
Disabilities: Deaf/Low Vision (blind) and Autistic

Postby Botti » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:31 pm

I have Bruxism and insomnia caused by anxiety. :wall: (banging head because I have been unable to conquer these problems)
Deaf Autistic

CelticRose
Disabilities: rheumatoid arthritis

Postby CelticRose » Sun May 24, 2009 3:58 am

Delayed sleep phase syndrome. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_sleep_phase_syndrome Having trouble with this right now, which is why I'm posting at this hour. For the last few weeks I haven't been able to go to bed on time or get up on time. I've been running on caffeine. I use a couple of the therapies mentioned in the Wikipedia article, for example, I turn on all the lights in the morning and in the evening only have one on. Right now I'm attempting to reset my internal clock by staying up all night.

Exploding head syndrome. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome Just learned about this one recently. In the past, I had always thought that the neighbors made a noise or that I'd had a bad dream. Doesn't happen very often and isn't serious, but really scary when it does happen. However, just knowing about seems to help a lot. The last time it happened I woke up panicking, thought "oh, it's just that exploding head thing" and promptly went back to sleep. In the past, the panick attack would have kept me awake.
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

Be yourself no matter what they say. - Sting

My blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com/

alin0s
Site Admin
Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Postby alin0s » Sun May 24, 2009 11:03 am

Ever have such crappy dreams, not necessarily nightmares that you have to wake up and wash your mouth out.

This morning I woke up after having a dream of me underage right now drinking weird ass tasting beer that tasted like puke and had weird solid chunks in it, it had to be puke. I woke up almost puking had to take a sip of my old soda from last night, and went to bed. And then in the second part of the dream I ended up going totally arsonist on that said bar lighting it on fire and nicely setting off all of the fire alarms in that area of the strip mall so no one got hurt. :xD:

Anyone up for creating en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weird_Ass_Dream_Disorder.html

CelticRose

Postby CelticRose » Sun May 24, 2009 4:03 pm

I didn't sleep at all last night, and oddly enough, I'm not at all tired. Hopefully I'll be tired around bedtime.
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

alin0s
Site Admin

Postby alin0s » Sun May 24, 2009 8:59 pm

CelticRose wrote:I didn't sleep at all last night, and oddly enough, I'm not at all tired. Hopefully I'll be tired around bedtime.

Good luck, usually I have an odd seizure and fall right asleep after I been up for over 24 hours. Let alone the crashes happen before 24 hours if I am tired enough.

CelticRose

Postby CelticRose » Sun May 24, 2009 10:40 pm

alin0s wrote:
CelticRose wrote:I didn't sleep at all last night, and oddly enough, I'm not at all tired. Hopefully I'll be tired around bedtime.

Good luck, usually I have an odd seizure and fall right asleep after I been up for over 24 hours. Let alone the crashes happen before 24 hours if I am tired enough.

Bedtime's in 22 min. and I'm still not tired. 8O However, as soon as my head hits the pillow I'll be out like a light. ;)

alin0s
Site Admin

Postby alin0s » Sun May 24, 2009 10:45 pm

CelticRose wrote:
alin0s wrote:

Bedtime's in 22 min. and I'm still not tired. 8O However, as soon as my head hits the pillow I'll be out like a light. ;)

Lucky you that you function like that. Me it takes about 1-2 hours of stimming and other "cool-downs" to relax and fall asleep.

One of my most common cool-downs is playing music on my iPod

CelticRose

Postby CelticRose » Mon May 25, 2009 8:34 am

alin0s wrote:
CelticRose wrote:
alin0s wrote:

Lucky you that you function like that. Me it takes about 1-2 hours of stimming and other "cool-downs" to relax and fall asleep.

My trouble is getting myself to go to bed. Once I'm there I go right to sleep.

I got to bed an hour late last night, but I went right to sleep and got up on time this morning. :boogie:

Now, let's see if I can stick to my sleep schedule. ;)

alin0s
Site Admin

Postby alin0s » Mon May 25, 2009 10:20 am

CelticRose wrote:
alin0s wrote:
CelticRose wrote:
alin0s wrote:

My trouble is getting myself to go to bed. Once I'm there I go right to sleep.

I got to bed an hour late last night, but I went right to sleep and got up on time this morning. :boogie:

Now, let's see if I can stick to my sleep schedule. ;)

going to bed is impossible since I spend half of my damn day in bed. That also does not help sleep patterns. [sarcasm] Wish these insurance companies were just a bit slower in processing a claim for a new wheelchair[/sarcasm] with upgraded seating so I can spend more than 3 hours in the damn thing without my back hurting ike hell.

CelticRose

Postby CelticRose » Mon May 25, 2009 5:21 pm

alin0s wrote:going to bed is impossible since I spend half of my damn day in bed. That also does not help sleep patterns. [sarcasm] Wish these insurance companies were just a bit slower in processing a claim for a new wheelchair[/sarcasm] with upgraded seating so I can spend more than 3 hours in the damn thing without my back hurting ike hell.

Poor Alin. :( I didn't know you were having trouble with your chair. :huggles:

Jax
Disabilities: RLS, Tactile Aversions (particularly with food!) and work as RN - interested in Autism and CP.

Postby Jax » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:46 am

Hmmm...RLS ( L for LIMBS, not just legs) for me.

Used to be really annoying - now, only if I forget the pills prior to bed! The day time RLS doesn't bother me much, but if I forget the Ropin - body goes mental!

Jax

alin0s
Site Admin

Postby alin0s » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:46 am

sleep disorders?

WHAT... SLEEP DISORDER!? ARE YOU ACCUSING THAT I HAVE ONE.

LOL my sleep is SCREWED TO THE POINT ITS NOT EVEN DISORDERED. ITS JUST PLAIN @*$!ED!

CelticRose

Postby CelticRose » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:48 pm

Well, I've discovered that my normal sleep pattern is to stay up for 2 days straight and then sleep for 11-12 hours -- less if I took a nap. Sounds weird, but since I've been doing this I'm not tired all the time anymore.

Return to “General Neurological Disability Discussion”