Thought Tics

This forum is here to discuss Tourette's Disorder and different ways of coping with it.
Stimluvr
Deceased
Disabilities: PDD-NOS, Bipolar, Cerebellar Hypoplasia, Seizures

Thought Tics

Postby Stimluvr » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:42 pm

Anyone have them? Have any tips for dealing with them? Im having a spate of theme at the moment and they are driving me mad, not that hard to do really lol.

alin0s
Site Admin
Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Re: Thought Tics

Postby alin0s » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:44 pm

bluaspie wrote:Anyone have them? Have any tips for dealing with them? Im having a spate of theme at the moment and they are driving me mad, not that hard to do really lol.

Describe what a thought tic is anyways.
check out my website at http://www.alinssite.info

Stimluvr
Deceased
Disabilities: PDD-NOS, Bipolar, Cerebellar Hypoplasia, Seizures

Postby Stimluvr » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:12 pm

A thought tic or invisible tic as some people call them is basically were you get random flashbacks for example if I was to cross the road I would imagine being rum over by a car and could convince myself it was going to happen. Before anyone asks yes it is definatly a tic as I have mild but still present premonitory urges.

p.s. Premonitory urge is a sensation that most people with tourette experience just before the tic itself, almost like an aura before an seizure, they usually occur in the area were we need to tic however they can sometimes be more generalised, ie felt throughout the whole body.

alin0s
Site Admin
Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Postby alin0s » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:35 pm

bluaspie wrote:A thought tic or invisible tic as some people call them is basically were you get random flashbacks for example if I was to cross the road I would imagine being rum over by a car and could convince myself it was going to happen. Before anyone asks yes it is definatly a tic as I have mild but still present premonitory urges.

p.s. Premonitory urge is a sensation that most people with tourette experience just before the tic itself, almost like an aura before an seizure, they usually occur in the area were we need to tic however they can sometimes be more generalised, ie felt throughout the whole body.

The way you put it there makes it sound like PTSD.
check out my website at http://www.alinssite.info

pakrat
Disabilities: Asperger's Syndrome, Dysthymia, Avoidant Personality.

Postby pakrat » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:29 am

Sometimes I get intrusive and unwanted thoughts and flashbacks of bad things that happened in the past but a psychologist told me I don't have OCD or PTSD so I don't know what it is?

Sartresue
Disabilities: CAPD, Dyspraxia, AS

Postby Sartresue » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:49 pm

Or: Thought Tics (orthotics) topic

I could not resist! I replay some stims that I have in order to review them. I did not know people with Tourette's did a form of mental rehearsal/replay. I will ask my brother, who has TS.

Interesting, bluaspie.

pakrat
Disabilities: Asperger's Syndrome, Dysthymia, Avoidant Personality.

Postby pakrat » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:27 am

I'm not diagnosed with Tourette's but sometimes get these strange thoughts which flash in and out of my mind like a neon sign.

Candice

Postby Candice » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:43 am

My 11 year old son was diagnosed as having high functioning autism and last year with the stress of being toward the end of school year. He got tics really bad. Like he was squinting blinking his eyes, nodding his head and sometimes wiggling his nose 24/7. His Teacher was really concerned. I asked him one time why he was doing that and he said he couldnt help it.

When the last school term finished and he got just to stay home completely the tics went away but they have started back up recently I have been told. I don't know how bad though and I don't know if it's tourettes or not.

Other Staff at the school who didnt really see him much said to me not to worry about it cause alot of the children on the autism spectrum do that squinting but I am thinking it is more than that and he should be taken to see a pediatrician.

Greyhound
Disabilities: Neurologically dodgy!

Tourette syndrome with other general neurological abnormalities, including:
CAPD traits
Mild Asperger syndrome traits/NVLD/social-emotional processing difficulties/dyssemia
Tactile issues
Irritability (used to have rages)
Distractibility
Absent mindedness manifesting itself as short term/working memory problems
Organisational problems
Possible Harry Benjamin syndrome/dysmorphia
Hypodipsia
Synesthesia (associated type)?

All very mild though - just some dodgy circuitry!

Postby Greyhound » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:18 am

Candice wrote:My 11 year old son was diagnosed as having high functioning autism and last year with the stress of being toward the end of school year. He got tics really bad. Like he was squinting blinking his eyes, nodding his head and sometimes wiggling his nose 24/7. His Teacher was really concerned. I asked him one time why he was doing that and he said he couldnt help it.

When the last school term finished and he got just to stay home completely the tics went away but they have started back up recently I have been told. I don't know how bad though and I don't know if it's tourettes or not.

Other Staff at the school who didnt really see him much said to me not to worry about it cause alot of the children on the autism spectrum do that squinting but I am thinking it is more than that and he should be taken to see a pediatrician.

Sorry to hear that, but this thread is about thought tics (mental tics).
Neurologically dodgy!

Candice

Postby Candice » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:46 am

Oh, ok I thought, thought ticks was what my son has because they say he always does it when he thinking. Like concentrating.

Return to “Tourette's Disorder”