Moles playing havoc with phantom tics

This forum is here to discuss Tourette's Disorder and different ways of coping with it.
Greyhound
Disabilities: Neurologically dodgy!

Tourette syndrome with other general neurological abnormalities, including:
CAPD traits
Mild Asperger syndrome traits/NVLD/social-emotional processing difficulties/dyssemia
Tactile issues
Irritability (used to have rages)
Distractibility
Absent mindedness manifesting itself as short term/working memory problems
Organisational problems
Possible Harry Benjamin syndrome/dysmorphia
Hypodipsia
Synesthesia (associated type)?

All very mild though - just some dodgy circuitry!

Moles playing havoc with phantom tics

Postby Greyhound » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:47 pm

I hope this is the correct section, as there's no neurology section yet. Anyway...

I can 'feel' what I see in a sort of synaesthetic (associated type) way. This in turn reacts with my Tourette syndrome in the form of complex phantom tics, including evening up. Somethings just feel horrible until they're moved or taken away, e.g. a piece of paper on a table. A few years ago, two flat moles appeared, one on each palm of my hands, near the edge (but in different places - they're not symmetrical, one's on the thumb side, and the other's on the 'chopping' side (or it would be in karate lol)). Anyway, these have always played havoc with my synesthesia-phantom tic thing where I 'feel' what I see etc. (it's VERY complicated, and I don't understand it myself). It causes me to have tics such as:
- pulling my thumb in unnatural positions, particularly on my left hand
- extra nose twitches (don't worry about what my nose has to do with my hands!)
- brushing my right hand (in a half fist position) against the right side of my jaw
- one-handed 'clapping' motions (sometimes making a slight clapping sound)

These aren't so bad on their own, but they're all tics to try to neutralise the HORRIBLE (sometimes intense) mental pain which they cause. I know it sounds soooooooooooooooooo stupid, but that's how it is. I don't choose to be like it and I know it sounds sooooooo trivial compared with everyone else's problems on here, but trust me, it mentally hurts. There's no other way of explaining it. Putting a plaster over them works quite well. The amount of tension which I can feel melting away when I put a plaster on and manage to look at my palm (the left one's the worst for some reason) is immense and incredible. The trouble is, I can't wear a plaster all the time because of course my skin starts to go all white and wrinkly and sort of mushy-ish.

These moles DO NOT bother me in the slightest in an aesthetic way. I have loads of moles all over my body, but these are they only one's which *REALLY* bother me (with the exception of one on one of my legs, near the foot which causes complex tics when I go barefooted).

The discomfort is so intense, it's stopping me from doing things properly with my hands. Even holding a book becomes annoying because I have to hold the book in a very awkward way to stop myself from seeing them, and even then, because I know they're there and because I'm sooo desperate not not see them, I still have a continuing discomfort. I can hardly look at my own hands. The other day I was sweeping crumbs into my hand from the kitchen worktop in order to clean it - I was trying not to look at my hands, and then I caught a glimpse of it and involuntarily flipped it over to hide it and scattered the rumbs all over the floor.

I really want to get them removed, and I'm prepared to pay a lot for it (it's about £150 - £180 per mole, plus £50-£80 for the initial consultation). I can barely afford it, but I think I'm going to go for it. I know the relief will far outlive the sting from the loss of money. But I feel so stupid. I HATE cosmetic things like laser treatments etc. but to me this is so much more than just cosmetic. But I still feel guilty - paying this much for two tiny marks to be removed. And I cannot tell my parents. They won't believe me and will think I've gone mad and that I'm throwing my money away.

Anyway, what are other people's thoughts on it? Here are four pictures of the two moles. It hurt to take the photos.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e396/ ... CF0086.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e396/ ... CF0089.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e396/ ... CF0087.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e396/ ... CF0088.jpg

By the way, I apologise if this sounds like I'm moaning about nothing, but it's not nothing to me. I have ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM with the moles themselves - the problem lies in my brain and I feel there's NOTHING else I can do about it.
Neurologically dodgy!

Sartresue
Disabilities: CAPD, Dyspraxia, AS

Re: Moles playing havoc with phantom tics

Postby Sartresue » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:07 pm

A mole-tic connection? topic

Greyhound (A sad name right now) I do not think moles have anything to do with Tourette's. (I had not got around to replying to your post until now.) If I had a mole on my hands i would get it checked out. I do not think you are mad, but I do think you may be obsessed with this moles issue. (Trust the physician who has the most experience with your health history.)

My mother's maiden name was Mole. 8O

Greyhound
Disabilities: Neurologically dodgy!

Tourette syndrome with other general neurological abnormalities, including:
CAPD traits
Mild Asperger syndrome traits/NVLD/social-emotional processing difficulties/dyssemia
Tactile issues
Irritability (used to have rages)
Distractibility
Absent mindedness manifesting itself as short term/working memory problems
Organisational problems
Possible Harry Benjamin syndrome/dysmorphia
Hypodipsia
Synesthesia (associated type)?

All very mild though - just some dodgy circuitry!

Postby Greyhound » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:24 am

Sartresue wrote:Greyhound (A sad name right now)

Why?

Sartresue wrote:I do not think moles have anything to do with Tourette's.

They do if you have phantom tics. It's really complicated.
Neurologically dodgy!

alin0s
Site Admin
Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Postby alin0s » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:42 pm

All I can recommend is that you go see a neurologist who specializes in Tourette's disorder and see what they have to say. If they do find the moles are responsible for causing inappropriate sensory stimulation on a "neuron band" that is sensitive to tics they may request that the moles be cauterized.
check out my website at http://www.alinssite.info

pakrat
Disabilities: Asperger's Syndrome, Dysthymia, Avoidant Personality.

Postby pakrat » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:26 am

Yes, I agree with this advice. These moles are obviously causing a lot of anguish so I suggest the best thing is to see if they can be removed.

Return to “Tourette's Disorder”