Borderline personality disorder

This forum is here to discuss psychological disorders such as depression, bipolar disorder, psychotic disorder, and other psychological disorders and and different ways of coping with them.

Candice

Borderline personality disorder

Postby Candice » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:36 am

I found a phamplet about BPD and that I got from the hospital. It has that BPD is a complex disorder that is often misunderstood.
About two and five per cent of the population are affected by BPD.
Women are three times more likely to be diagnosed with BPD than men.
The causes of BPD are not fully understood. They are likely to be a combination of biological and life factors.
People with BPD have persistent difficulty relating to other people and to the world around them. This can be very distressing for the person and for those who care for them.
They may even experience psychotic symptoms such as delusions or false beliefs.
Not all people who harm themselves have BPD While self-harm is common among people with BPD, not all those who do have this disorder. It may relate to a mental illness, a disorder or emotional problem unrelated to BPD.
People with BPD are not 'bad'
The anger and rejection that people with BPD display means they are sometimes labelled as 'bad,' 'manipulative' or 'attention seeking.' While things they do may at times leave to confusion, distress or inconvenience for other people, it should be remembered that this behaviour results from feeling fear, lonliness, desperation, or hopelessness associated with BPD.

Candice

Re: Borderline personality disorder

Postby Candice » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:34 am

BPD is a diagnosis I have recently been given and not schizotypal like I put under 'what are your disabilites.' My psychologist just thought I may have been schizotypal.
The psych that diagnosed BPD put me under Axis II and I still don't know what that means.

I am just happy that they don't think I have schizophrenia like the register psychiatrist diagnosed. They can't give schizophrenia as a confirmed diagnosis unless 3 psychiatrists agree that, that person does. Like I kept telling them but I am not like a person who has schizophrenia and they go it is mild.

Before that I had a group meeting with the intake psychiatrist, my psychologist, mental health worker, child and family services but they didnt turn up and a social worker from the Education Department. The psych read from my record all of my diagnosis from over the years or maybe was just opinions and he said something like, "bipolar disorder, schizoaffective and all these other names. It was like an endless list so I am glad to just have a BPD label. Especially after all of that and been given antipsychotic injections that are really strong.

So my diagnosis are BPD, mild learning disability and mild autism.

Return to “General Psychological Disorders”