help me decide please...

This forum is here to discuss psychological disorders such as depression, bipolar disorder, psychotic disorder, and other psychological disorders and and different ways of coping with them.

harvester52
Site Admin
Disabilities: Asperger's Syndrome, Gender Dysphoria, Severe Dysmorphia, Premie Tendons, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Postural Kyphosis, Osteoarthritis, Asthma

Re: help me decide please...

Postby harvester52 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:50 am

I take Prozac 20mg everyday for panic. It works a lot better for me than Zoloft, which I was on for about a year when I was younger.

The most amazing thing thanks to Prozac... I'm able to drive! Whoo-hoo... no panicking out.

alin0s
Site Admin
Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Postby alin0s » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:20 pm

harvester52 wrote:I take Prozac 20mg everyday for panic. It works a lot better for me than Zoloft, which I was on for about a year when I was younger.

The most amazing thing thanks to Prozac... I'm able to drive! Whoo-hoo... no panicking out.

Panic, while driving?! I thought you unconditionally love being on the road?!
check out my website at http://www.alinssite.info

pakrat
Disabilities: Asperger's Syndrome, Dysthymia, Avoidant Personality.

Postby pakrat » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:29 am

I talked to my doctor sometime ago about the possibility of trying Prozac but she said it was too dangerous. There have been mixed reports about it with some hailing it as a wonder drug and others linking it with increased aggression in some users.

alin0s
Site Admin
Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Postby alin0s » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:37 am

pakrat wrote:I talked to my doctor sometime ago about the possibility of trying Prozac but she said it was too dangerous. There have been mixed reports about it with some hailing it as a wonder drug and others linking it with increased aggression in some users.

Honestly, don't worry about it. I do not advocate for the use of psychiatric drugs in ANY case unless it is to stop a potentially dangerous person from harming self or others.

pakrat

Postby pakrat » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:07 am

alin0s wrote:
pakrat wrote:I talked to my doctor sometime ago about the possibility of trying Prozac but she said it was too dangerous. There have been mixed reports about it with some hailing it as a wonder drug and others linking it with increased aggression in some users.

Honestly, don't worry about it. I do not advocate for the use of psychiatric drugs in ANY case unless it is to stop a potentially dangerous person from harming self or others.
Ah, I have had issues with self harm in the past.

alin0s
Site Admin

Postby alin0s » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:23 am

pakrat wrote:
alin0s wrote:

Ah, I have had issues with self harm in the past.

Do you have issues with it right now?

pakrat

Postby pakrat » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:58 am

Not usually, but if I get into a panic attack, I do. Unfortunately, I can't predict when a panic attack will occur but at least now I am not getting the intrusive thoughts of hurting myself that I was getting 3 or 4 years ago.

alin0s
Site Admin

Postby alin0s » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:53 pm

pakrat wrote:Not usually, but if I get into a panic attack, I do. Unfortunately, I can't predict when a panic attack will occur but at least now I am not getting the intrusive thoughts of hurting myself that I was getting 3 or 4 years ago.

I recommend Lorazepam, my mom uses it for her anxiety attacks. It is not designed for constant use, it is similar to a fast acting inhaler.You take it when you just entered a panic attack.

pakrat

Postby pakrat » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:22 am

alin0s wrote:
pakrat wrote:Not usually, but if I get into a panic attack, I do. Unfortunately, I can't predict when a panic attack will occur but at least now I am not getting the intrusive thoughts of hurting myself that I was getting 3 or 4 years ago.

I recommend Lorazepam, my mom uses it for her anxiety attacks. It is not designed for constant use, it is similar to a fast acting inhaler.You take it when you just entered a panic attack.
Haven't heard of that one but could ask my doctor. I was told a few years ago that I'll have to take anti-depressants and mood stabilisers for the rest of my life, plus blood pressure medication. The depression has been with me for years and I'm kind of used to it, but having anxiety attacks (often the result of people not understanding what I'm saying) is a worry.

alin0s
Site Admin

Postby alin0s » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:21 pm

pakrat wrote:
alin0s wrote:

Haven't heard of that one but could ask my doctor. I was told a few years ago that I'll have to take anti-depressants and mood stabilisers for the rest of my life, plus blood pressure medication. The depression has been with me for years and I'm kind of used to it, but having anxiety attacks (often the result of people not understanding what I'm saying) is a worry.

You do not medically need Anti-Depressant unless you are consistently severely depressed and suicidal. You may need intermittent Anti-Depressant series, however I do not see you as needing chronic use. Blood pressure med is a different story, however I think lorazepam will be helpful for the anxiety / panic attacks.

pakrat

Postby pakrat » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:14 am

alin0s wrote:
pakrat wrote:
alin0s wrote:

You do not medically need Anti-Depressant unless you are consistently severely depressed and suicidal. You may need intermittent Anti-Depressant series, however I do not see you as needing chronic use. Blood pressure med is a different story, however I think lorazepam will be helpful for the anxiety / panic attacks.
I did ask my current doctor about this and she said I would need to continue taking the anti anxiety medication for the foreseeable future. It also has antidepressant properties but the main reason I take it is for anxiety. Whenever I've had to miss a few doses eg. ran out and couldn't get another appointment with the doctor; within a couple of days the depressive thoughts would start to get quite severe. So even though it might not be the absolute best situation, I can't risk going off the medication.

Return to “General Psychological Disorders”