How to cope with Depression

This forum is here to discuss psychological disorders such as depression, bipolar disorder, psychotic disorder, and other psychological disorders and and different ways of coping with them.

OrangeLily
Disabilities: HFA, Severe Depression, and GAD.

How to cope with Depression

Postby OrangeLily » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:17 pm

:wall:
What the heck do you do to cope with depression when you don't feel like doing anything?
It's so annoying, because I just want to hide under the covers, and although I know that's not going to work, I don't know how else to cope :evil:

RCM

Re: How to cope with Depression

Postby RCM » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:21 pm

Just try to think about happy things, and not the things that depress you! That's what I usually do! and although the Autism causes me to have mood swings sometimes, the medication helps, I just try and think about the things that make me happy! not the things that make me sad!

OrangeLily

Postby OrangeLily » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:10 pm

If it was normal sadness, I would agree with you, but I'm severely Depressed
Mostly from my horrible childhood :mad:

harvester52
Site Admin
Disabilities: Asperger's Syndrome, Gender Dysphoria, Severe Dysmorphia, Premie Tendons, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Postural Kyphosis, Osteoarthritis, Asthma

Postby harvester52 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:38 am

I get that way, mostly due to my dysmorphia. I get severely depressed and I don't feel like doing anything except sleeping because when I sleep, in my dreams, my body matches my brain and I am comfortable. On those days... I just trudge through. I've tried to change the way I feel on those days, and it doesn't really work. The best thing to do is just keep on going. Like that song says, "If you're going through hell, keep on going. Don't look back, and you might get out before the devil even knows you're there."

alin0s
Site Admin
Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Postby alin0s » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:13 pm

harvester52 wrote:I get that way, mostly due to my dysmorphia. I get severely depressed and I don't feel like doing anything except sleeping because when I sleep, in my dreams, my body matches my brain and I am comfortable. On those days... I just trudge through. I've tried to change the way I feel on those days, and it doesn't really work. The best thing to do is just keep on going. Like that song says, "If you're going through hell, keep on going. Don't look back, and you might get out before the devil even knows you're there."

Hehehe, I love that song, Rodney Atkins - If you're going through hell. I have it on my iPod

I don't have any depression. I an quite happy with how I am!
check out my website at http://www.alinssite.info

OrangeLily

Postby OrangeLily » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:25 pm

I'm actually scared to dream, as I have to face my reality then, and I have no control... :(

RCM

Postby RCM » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:56 pm

alin0s wrote:
harvester52 wrote:I get that way, mostly due to my dysmorphia. I get severely depressed and I don't feel like doing anything except sleeping because when I sleep, in my dreams, my body matches my brain and I am comfortable. On those days... I just trudge through. I've tried to change the way I feel on those days, and it doesn't really work. The best thing to do is just keep on going. Like that song says, "If you're going through hell, keep on going. Don't look back, and you might get out before the devil even knows you're there."

Hehehe, I love that song, Rodney Atkins - If you're going through hell. I have it on my iPod

and that's how EVERYONE should be! happy with who they are, my GF is happy about who she is, and I'm happy about who I am! what I am not happy about is people that think they are better then you are at everything! :mad:

harvester52
Site Admin
Disabilities: Asperger's Syndrome, Gender Dysphoria, Severe Dysmorphia, Premie Tendons, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Postural Kyphosis, Osteoarthritis, Asthma

Postby harvester52 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:12 pm

I try to be that way, but most of the time, it fails.

alin0s
Site Admin
Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Postby alin0s » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:32 pm

RCM wrote:
alin0s wrote:

and that's how EVERYONE should be! happy with who they are, my GF is happy about who she is, and I'm happy about who I am! what I am not happy about is people that think they are better then you are at everything! :mad:

I am perfectly happy with myself. I am fine with my disability.
check out my website at http://www.alinssite.info

OrangeLily

Postby OrangeLily » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:51 pm

harvester52 wrote: Like that song says, "If you're going through hell, keep on going. Don't look back, and you might get out before the devil even knows you're there."

It's hard when the flames are so freaking hot :?

harvester52
Site Admin

Postby harvester52 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:15 am

OrangeLily wrote:
harvester52 wrote: Like that song says, "If you're going through hell, keep on going. Don't look back, and you might get out before the devil even knows you're there."

It's hard when the flames are so freaking hot :?

Yeah... my flames have been almost too hot, too.

OrangeLily

Postby OrangeLily » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:07 am

Because I've been burned before, it seems like anything will cause that painful depression :wall:

pakrat
Disabilities: Asperger's Syndrome, Dysthymia, Avoidant Personality.

Postby pakrat » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:14 am

I've been depressed ever since I was about 5 years old - that really sucks but I am grateful for when I feel happier which is sometimes.

justme05
Disabilities: most likely AS, almost certainly NLD, PTSD for certain.

Postby justme05 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:59 pm

i've been struggling with depression off and on for years; it seems to go hand in hand with post-traumatic stress disorder (my psych dx.) i've found medications have some effect--they take the edge off, anyway. i can't say they generally make me feel "good." positive thinking? hm. when the "groggy-slow" depression hits, it's hard to find anything positive. it does change the perceptions.

MissConstrue
Disabilities: Seizures, Aspergers, and Major Depression Disorder.

Postby MissConstrue » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:19 pm

I've gotten depressed to the point where I've had to hospitalized a few times.

They had to put me on meds and now I've been having to go through cognitive therapy. Meds are good but they don't get rid of the symptom itself. Depending on how severe your depression is, I would bring it up with a doctor first, get a little counseling or a support group. Also keep yourself busy...I know that's frustrating and hard to do. You might not feel like it at the time but once you start getting busy with someone, then you won't think about it as much.

Sometimes I force myself to do little things like go to a coffee shop and surround myself with people. Not sure why, but being around people always cheers me up. I don't even have to interact with them. My other way of getting through it is painting. You might try and find your niche in art like music, painting, writing, making things...so on.

My heart goes out to you.... :(
Oh you can't help that. We're all mad here.
__Cheshire the Cat

Return to “General Psychological Disorders”