How to cope with Depression

This forum is here to discuss psychological disorders such as depression, bipolar disorder, psychotic disorder, and other psychological disorders and and different ways of coping with them.

CelticRose
Disabilities: rheumatoid arthritis

Re: How to cope with Depression

Postby CelticRose » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:18 am

MissConstrue is right -- keeping busy helps. If nothing else it helps the time to pass faster until the bout of depression is over.

Every now and then I have mild bouts of depression. I find it helps to keep busy and put some upbeat music on.
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

Be yourself no matter what they say. - Sting

My blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com/

pakrat
Disabilities: Asperger's Syndrome, Dysthymia, Avoidant Personality.

Postby pakrat » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:21 am

Just wanting to explain why I have not been here for a long time. In some ways, this hasn't been such a good year, with repeated bouts of depression and anxiety, carrying over from stress from last yr. I had a particularly severe bout of depression in February, which put everything behind eg. going to visit TheChosenOne interstate and many weekends, I did very little housework. Life is better now but given my past history, I am very likely to have repeated instances of depression, despite being on medications.

Sadly, one of my daughters now seems to be following the same pattern and I fear she has inherited something from me. She might also be AS. So, I've also been very worried about her. She was too depressed to continue studies or a job and she is now recovering at her dad's place. She does enjoy cooking but her real love is working with gemstones and jewellery making apprenticeships are very rare. I bought her a maine coon kitten earlier this year to cheer her up and I think caring for the kitten has helped her somewhat.

Sometimes when I am more lucid, I can see how "off" my thinking was when in a depressive episode and will resolve to think better but then it just takes a small series of setbacks to set it all off again. I'm seeing a counsellor but it is difficult for any counsellor to really do much about entrenched depression (ie. that a person has had for several decades) except maybe offer some practical assistance in finding strategies to put in place to lower stress levels.

Like no doubt many others, I find the pace of modern life too fast and yet there are lots of people far worse off and I don't know how they manage.
What makes it difficult is, depression and autism are frequently invisible disabilities. Yes, you might notice the person is despondent and saying they have trouble coping, but all too often, others just think they are being slack and see it as a moral defect that can be cured simply by telling them to smarten themselves up and not be so selfish.

CelticRose

Postby CelticRose » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:56 pm

Sorry to hear you've been feeling poorly, pakrat. :( I hope you're feeling better soon, and remember that we're here for you when you need someone to talk to. :petting: :comfort: :huggles:

It's good to see you back on the forum. :)
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

alin0s
Site Admin
Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Postby alin0s » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:05 pm

CelticRose wrote:Sorry to hear you've been feeling poorly, pakrat. :( I hope you're feeling better soon, and remember that we're here for you when you need someone to talk to. :petting: :comfort: :huggles:

CR took what i wanted to say right off my tongue.

CR GET OUT OF MY MOUTH!
check out my website at http://www.alinssite.info

CelticRose

Postby CelticRose » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:44 pm

alin0s wrote:
CelticRose wrote:Sorry to hear you've been feeling poorly, pakrat. :( I hope you're feeling better soon, and remember that we're here for you when you need someone to talk to. :petting: :comfort: :huggles:

CR GET OUT OF MY MOUTH!

EWWWWW!!!!! :eww: I am not and never have been in your mouth! Heaven only knows what's lurking in there.

alin0s
Site Admin
Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Postby alin0s » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:43 pm

CelticRose wrote:
alin0s wrote:

CR GET OUT OF MY MOUTH!

EWWWWW!!!!! :eww: I am not and never have been in your mouth! Heaven only knows what's lurking in there.

lol
check out my website at http://www.alinssite.info

makuranososhi
Site Admin
Disabilities: ASD - Asperger's Syndrome (comorbids; insomnia, severe depression, loose joints, environmental sensitivities, GI issues)

Postby makuranososhi » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:23 am

Depression, coupled with anxiety, are perhaps the two worst of the co-morbid issues that I experience. I've come to accept my limitations in understanding some things, and I ask more questions than most consider appropriate, but I'm also not willing to let those prevent me from being myself. And that's taken a long time... but there is such an emotional drain involved in dealing with people on a daily basis, and so many memories that remain perpetually alive in my mind... it just takes so much, and there isn't enough time to detox from what I have to do each day.
M.

He thrusts his fists against the posts, but still insists he sees the ghosts.
From my heart and from my hand, why can't people understand my intentions?
Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.
http://autisocial.freeforums.org

Return to “General Psychological Disorders”