Developmental Delays in Adaptive Strategies?

this forum is here to discuss Autism and Asperger's syndrome and the different ways of coping with their social and neurocognitive effects.
makuranososhi
Site Admin
Disabilities: ASD - Asperger's Syndrome (comorbids; insomnia, severe depression, loose joints, environmental sensitivities, GI issues)

Developmental Delays in Adaptive Strategies?

Postby makuranososhi » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:26 am

As I have come to understand the challenges I have and continue to face, I realize that many of my coping methods and manners of social interaction were developed in high school and college. Now in my thirties, I am finding these failing or inadequate to the task and feel I am regressing in some areas where I had felt that strides had been made. Has anyone else has this realization/experience?
M.

He thrusts his fists against the posts, but still insists he sees the ghosts.
From my heart and from my hand, why can't people understand my intentions?
Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.
http://autisocial.freeforums.org

CelticRose
Disabilities: rheumatoid arthritis

Re: Developmental Delays in Adaptive Strategies?

Postby CelticRose » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:46 am

No, but adults interact with each other differently than high school or college "kids", so I can see where you might be having difficulty if you continue to act younger than your age.

Maybe if you gave us specific examples we could help you through some of them?
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

Be yourself no matter what they say. - Sting

My blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com/

alin0s
Site Admin
Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Postby alin0s » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:33 am

i act younger than my age often
check out my website at http://www.alinssite.info

makuranososhi
Site Admin
Disabilities: ASD - Asperger's Syndrome (comorbids; insomnia, severe depression, loose joints, environmental sensitivities, GI issues)

Postby makuranososhi » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:30 pm

It will take me some time to quantify and explain better; I will try to find some quick examples. One might be that in conversation, I tend to revert to old or familiar topics, or use the same vernacular that I did twenty years ago. While I spent time trying to find ways to conceal stim-like behavior, people I knew in HS comment often when we encounter each other how strangely consistent and exact my mannerisms are in comparison to back then. It's like I learned a certain set of coping skills and strategies, and now they aren't as effective. I learned that, given certain criteria, some reactions and responses could be predicted with a limited amount of certainty... now, I feel like the channel changes mid-stream, and I've gone from watching familiar cartoons to a 1960's French melodrama w/o subtitles or dubbing - just lost. As I said, I am not able to articulate exactly what I want to say right now, but will attempt to do so in the near future. I think that I spent over ten years teaching HS only reinforced that behavior.
M.

CelticRose
Disabilities: rheumatoid arthritis

Postby CelticRose » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:32 pm

Well, you can always learn new vernacular by spending time on the internet or watching television. I've been able to keep up with the latest slang terms a lot more easily since I've been on the internet.

I wasn't aware that one's mannerisms were supposed to change over time. :huh: Seems to me that's the other person's problem, not yours. I should think that most people wouldn't notice since they haven't known you long enough, and those who have known you for a long time should realize that's just how you are.
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

Be yourself no matter what they say. - Sting

My blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com/

makuranososhi
Site Admin

Postby makuranososhi » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:33 pm

My vernacular is relatively fixed; while I do tend to integrate vocabulary within individuals, that doesn't always translate into broader usage. I wasn't aware either, but the number of comments like "man, that's eerie - that's just how you (fill-in-the-blank)ed in HS/JHS/etc. For those who don't know me, I apparently just seem out of date... probably why I do well in antiques.
M.

Return to “Autism and Aspergers Syndrome”