Where are all the autistic adults?

this forum is here to discuss Autism and Asperger's syndrome and the different ways of coping with their social and neurocognitive effects.
jumpsuitboy
Disabilities: Bipolar Disorder, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Sensory Processing Disorder

Where are all the autistic adults?

Postby jumpsuitboy » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:27 am

Seems like all I can find online is info about children. It's my understanding that most symptoms can be alleviated if the proper treatments and teaching techniques are applied at a young enough age, but what about those who didn't receive that treatment and haven't "grown out of it"?

CelticRose
Disabilities: rheumatoid arthritis

Re: Where are all the autistic adults?

Postby CelticRose » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:58 pm

Hi! Adult with Asperger's here! :) I'm 36.

Yes, that's a problem. All the resources are for kids, and most of the forums seem to be run by teenagers, although you can find a few adults out there. Since Asperger's and the higher-functioning forms of autism weren't recognized until relatively recently, there are a lot of undiagnosed adults out there. There are also adults who hide their autism because of social stigma and the risk of being put in an institution (although that's not as much of a risk as it used to be).
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

Be yourself no matter what they say. - Sting

My blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com/

Botti
Disabilities: Deaf/Low Vision (blind) and Autistic

Postby Botti » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:16 pm

The boards are full of autistic adults. Usually mild as they were diagnosed in adulthood after it became a catagory.

Autistics like me from childhood were there, but more rare and there were no boards since no internet and older people with the diagnosis were classic Autism and more severe. Plus aging often improved them.
I am one who spent 3 teen years in state institution with other autistics. No fun.
Deaf Autistic

alin0s
Site Admin
Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Postby alin0s » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:49 am

jumpsuitboy wrote:Seems like all I can find online is info about children. It's my understanding that most symptoms can be alleviated if the proper treatments and teaching techniques are applied at a young enough age, but what about those who didn't receive that treatment and haven't "grown out of it"?

im 18 and no longer considered a child. i self treat in many ways of sensory stimulation
check out my website at http://www.alinssite.info

Calico
Disabilities: Diagnosed with autism in my early childhood and then it was turned to "autistic behavior" due to having hearing loss.

Diagnosed with ADD and dyspraxia and Sensory Integration(sp) Dysfunction when I was a kid

Diagnosed with anxiety and depression along with Aspergers in 6th grade.

I also have a learning disability and cognitive problems.

Postby Calico » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:22 pm

I'm 24

Man it's been a while since I've last been here.
There's no crying in baseball
Take me home mama and put me to bed

alin0s
Site Admin
Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Postby alin0s » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:39 pm

Calico wrote:I'm 24

Man it's been a while since I've last been here.

Yeesh, indeed.
check out my website at http://www.alinssite.info

Return to “Autism and Aspergers Syndrome”