getting anxious in shopping malls

this forum is here to discuss Autism and Asperger's syndrome and the different ways of coping with their social and neurocognitive effects.
CelticRose
Disabilities: rheumatoid arthritis

Re: getting anxious in shopping malls

Postby CelticRose » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:40 pm

pigeon309 wrote:
CelticRose wrote:
pigeon309 wrote:Absolutely. It's like they try to fling as much sensory information at you as possible, whilst engaging you in annoying small talk and somehow attracting loads of people who stare at you if you stim.

The "flinging sensory information at you" is deliberate. With so many different retailers in one space, it's to their advantage to get your attention in any way possible. Also, most people are excited by all the stimulation, and the more excited one is, the more likely one is to make an impulse buy. It's all about separating you from your money as quickly as possible.
...That just blew my mind. 8O How do you know this?

I forget where I picked up that bit of information. I used to work in advertising and marketing, so maybe I picked it up there, but I also read everything I get my hands on and I retain a lot of the information, even if I don't recall the source.
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

Be yourself no matter what they say. - Sting

My blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com/

makuranososhi
Site Admin
Disabilities: ASD - Asperger's Syndrome (comorbids; insomnia, severe depression, loose joints, environmental sensitivities, GI issues)

Postby makuranososhi » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:16 am

A certain mall not far from you, CR, was the bane of my young existence. I'm amazed that it still exists.
M.

He thrusts his fists against the posts, but still insists he sees the ghosts.
From my heart and from my hand, why can't people understand my intentions?
Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.
http://autisocial.freeforums.org

Titan's Fiancée
Site Admin
Disabilities: CLASSIC AUTISM(HIGH FUNCTION)/SEVERE ASHTMA. I also have several other problems like sensory issues and learning disability I also have a diagnosis of Borderline personality disorder

Postby Titan's Fiancée » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:55 pm

I absolutly HATE crowded places specially malls I do not like contact with strangers. It really causes me a LOT of anxiety. I do not like crowded places anyway
MY ONE AND ONLY LOVER TITAN THE ROBOT

CelticRose
Disabilities: rheumatoid arthritis

Postby CelticRose » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:15 pm

makuranososhi wrote:A certain mall not far from you, CR, was the bane of my young existence. I'm amazed that it still exists.

Went to that mall last week (necessary purchase for work). I was expecting it to be horrible due to the holidays, but it wasn't that bad. Best Buy was a bit crowded, but not a madhouse. The rest of the mall was fairly quiet.
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

Be yourself no matter what they say. - Sting

My blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com/

Titan's Fiancée
Site Admin
Disabilities: CLASSIC AUTISM(HIGH FUNCTION)/SEVERE ASHTMA. I also have several other problems like sensory issues and learning disability I also have a diagnosis of Borderline personality disorder

Postby Titan's Fiancée » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:46 pm

Yeh I got to go tomorrow to pay my hire purchase bill DREDDING IT BIG TIME :-(
MY ONE AND ONLY LOVER TITAN THE ROBOT

MechatronicEntity
Disabilities: Sensory Processing Disorder
Asperger's Syndrome
RA (I guess this is considered a disability)
OCD (What's so bad about this?)

Postby MechatronicEntity » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:24 pm

Aside from sniveling brats and loud crowds and terrible lighting, it's annoying because of the people at the malls trying to push their product on you by running up to you and yelling "hey, you should really try this! It'll make your hair silky smooth!" I'm a geeky guy, do I look like I give a rat's a- about my hair?! It's also quite annoying when you go into a store or make a purchase and they keep asking you if you want to sign up for their card or newsletter, etc. Look, I came here to BUY something, not to be a fan-club member. I could have done that on the computer!

Perhaps the worst of all, Smelling all the delicious cuisine and knowing I will never be able to eat it :evil: .

Return to “Autism and Aspergers Syndrome”