getting anxious in shopping malls

this forum is here to discuss Autism and Asperger's syndrome and the different ways of coping with their social and neurocognitive effects.
harvester52
Site Admin
Disabilities: Asperger's Syndrome, Gender Dysphoria, Severe Dysmorphia, Premie Tendons, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Postural Kyphosis, Osteoarthritis, Asthma

Re: getting anxious in shopping malls

Postby harvester52 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:34 pm

I liked assemblies, but only because I was running the sound system. I hated field trips.

Sartresue
Disabilities: CAPD, Dyspraxia, AS

Postby Sartresue » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:56 pm

Shopping Maul topic

I still do, even with my youngest daughter. She is NT, and enjoys the trip. I will go to get lost in something, or maybe look at books, pets, but too many people... :eww: And, someone is always trying to sell me something. :evil:

alin0s
Site Admin
Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Postby alin0s » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:19 pm

Sartresue wrote:Shopping Maul topic

I still do, even with my youngest daughter. She is NT, and enjoys the trip. I will go to get lost in something, or maybe look at books, pets, but too many people... :eww: And, someone is always trying to sell me something. :evil:

I am glad my mom is not a mall-aholic. I do not like the mall much unless I am in my stores.
check out my website at http://www.alinssite.info

Jaysonlee4

Postby Jaysonlee4 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:55 am

i hate malls to. they make me almost non functional.

pakrat
Disabilities: Asperger's Syndrome, Dysthymia, Avoidant Personality.

Postby pakrat » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:50 am

I only like malls when there aren't many people around. I get panic attacks when there are screaming kids and too many people milling about and it's then that I want to leave asap. It's alright if I'm on my own because I can leave at any time but sometimes other people don't understand and act as if I'm just being difficult when I say it is getting too noisy for me. Food courts as the worst as the acoustics are often terrible and amplify the screaming kids, plus there are people pushing and walking too close. There has been talk of one of our major grocery chains bringin in online shopping. I say, bring it on!

Clothes shopping is depressing because I'm a bit overweight and most nice things stop at size 14 but I am a 16.

alin0s
Site Admin
Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Postby alin0s » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:26 pm

I shop online for everything and rarely go grocery shopping with mom. Mall shopping is ultra rare.

alin0s
Site Admin

Postby alin0s » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:27 pm

harvester52 wrote:I liked assemblies, but only because I was running the sound system. I hated field trips.

same thing for me lol.

pakrat

Postby pakrat » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:02 am

Even smaller and less busy stores have their pitfalls sometimes. :roll: For instance, I was getting served in a store yesterday and this woman behind me kept clicking her fingers on something she was about to buy (and tapping and clicking noises bug the heck out of me) and I was starting to get very jumpy and was very happy to get out of there quickly.

Sartresue
Disabilities: CAPD, Dyspraxia, AS

Postby Sartresue » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:02 pm

Mall-adaptive topic

My second post in this topic.I used to think malls were great ideas, to be able to shop in all sorts of weather. Seniors like it so they can walk around and sit when they get tired. Now I do not like being stared at and bothered by the noise. It is good when the stores have entrances where a person can get in and out from outside. A quick get-away.

I feel bad for the pets that have to live there. :cry:

There is a mall in Edmonton, Alberta, that has a lake and a replica wooden ship in it. :o 8O There is also a swimming pool and water slide.

pakrat

Postby pakrat » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:38 am

Malls were pretty much a novelty for me when I moved to a relatively large city at 18 so it took a little while to notice the less pleasant aspects they had. I don't mind going to them when it is a reasonably quiet day, just don't like noisy and unpredictable crowds.

CelticRose
Disabilities: rheumatoid arthritis

Postby CelticRose » Sun May 24, 2009 4:57 am

I don't like shopping, particularly when the store is crowded. I do a lot of my shopping by mail, and I need to get a credit card so I can do my shopping online.

I don't like malls. Too many people milling about and getting in my way. I stay out of them around the holidays -- they become a nightmare then.

The worst is IKEA. I like their furniture, but the one time I went there I had panic attacks. Too. Many. People. Also, their floorplan is designed such that if you don't have a map to help you find the shortcuts you end up walking through the entire store. When my friends and I got to the lower level, we kept walking and walking and there seemed to be no end in sight and there were no windows so I couldn't see outside. :shaking: By the time we reached the checkout I was a nervous wreck and told my friends I would wait for them outside and dashed out the door.
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

Be yourself no matter what they say. - Sting

My blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com/

alin0s
Site Admin

Postby alin0s » Sun May 24, 2009 11:22 am

Same here, I do all my shopping online through PayPal. :boogie:

pigeon309
Disabilities: Asperger's Syndrome

Postby pigeon309 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:08 pm

Absolutely. It's like they try to fling as much sensory information at you as possible, whilst engaging you in annoying small talk and somehow attracting loads of people who stare at you if you stim.
I'm abnormal, just like everyone else.

CelticRose
Disabilities: rheumatoid arthritis

Postby CelticRose » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:10 pm

pigeon309 wrote:Absolutely. It's like they try to fling as much sensory information at you as possible, whilst engaging you in annoying small talk and somehow attracting loads of people who stare at you if you stim.

The "flinging sensory information at you" is deliberate. With so many different retailers in one space, it's to their advantage to get your attention in any way possible. Also, most people are excited by all the stimulation, and the more excited one is, the more likely one is to make an impulse buy. It's all about separating you from your money as quickly as possible.
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

Be yourself no matter what they say. - Sting

My blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com/

pigeon309
Disabilities: Asperger's Syndrome

Postby pigeon309 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:45 am

CelticRose wrote:
pigeon309 wrote:Absolutely. It's like they try to fling as much sensory information at you as possible, whilst engaging you in annoying small talk and somehow attracting loads of people who stare at you if you stim.

The "flinging sensory information at you" is deliberate. With so many different retailers in one space, it's to their advantage to get your attention in any way possible. Also, most people are excited by all the stimulation, and the more excited one is, the more likely one is to make an impulse buy. It's all about separating you from your money as quickly as possible.
...That just blew my mind. 8O How do you know this?
I'm abnormal, just like everyone else.

Return to “Autism and Aspergers Syndrome”