getting anxious in shopping malls

this forum is here to discuss Autism and Asperger's syndrome and the different ways of coping with their social and neurocognitive effects.
batista.90
Disabilities: Asperger,autism,(f98.8)

getting anxious in shopping malls

Postby batista.90 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:44 am

anyone else ever feeling anxious in malls? :|
im aspie yay!:P

RCM

Re: getting anxious in shopping malls

Postby RCM » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:08 pm

batista.90 wrote:anyone else ever feeling anxious in malls? :|

Yep...

alin0s
Site Admin
Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Postby alin0s » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:56 pm

I hate malls with a passion. They are noisy, smelly, and no one there is usually friendly. And its very hard to find friends there since its mostly older woman and girls who are just interested in spending their paycheck and then some because they got that fancy $600,000 jumbo mortgage. And then they usually wind up going bankrupt in a few years. Ugh, malls suck, end of story. I do all my shopping online!
check out my website at http://www.alinssite.info

harvester52
Site Admin
Disabilities: Asperger's Syndrome, Gender Dysphoria, Severe Dysmorphia, Premie Tendons, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Postural Kyphosis, Osteoarthritis, Asthma

Postby harvester52 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:18 pm

I go nuts in malls. And I don't mean in a necessarily bad way. It's like my autism gets ten times worse in a mall. I majorly combine-out. I don't really know how to describe it other than that. And it's only in malls and big supermarkets that I get that bad... or when I'm drunk.

batista.90

Postby batista.90 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:53 am

ya its kinda same i can do what i need there but after that i just want out and fast its just too much people

LostInSpace

Postby LostInSpace » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 pm

I am almost always anxious when I am outside of my house (or work), including in any kind of store. So yes, I get anxious in shopping malls.

I try to use breathing techniques to help calm myself down and slow my heart rate.

alin0s
Site Admin
Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Postby alin0s » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:13 pm

LostInSpace wrote:I am almost always anxious when I am outside of my house (or work), including in any kind of store. So yes, I get anxious in shopping malls.

I try to use breathing techniques to help calm myself down and slow my heart rate.

I hate any kind of store. I avoid them as much as I can. If I do have to go in I make sure my harness is on tightly since its pressure relaxes me.

RCM

Postby RCM » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:25 pm

alin0s wrote:
LostInSpace wrote:I am almost always anxious when I am outside of my house (or work), including in any kind of store. So yes, I get anxious in shopping malls.

I hate any kind of store. I avoid them as much as I can. If I do have to go in I make sure my harness is on tightly since its pressure relaxes me.

I actually don't like going into the store on my own, if my mom is there with me then I am fine!

alin0s
Site Admin

Postby alin0s » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:28 pm

RCM wrote:
alin0s wrote:

I actually don't like going into the store on my own, if my mom is there with me then I am fine!

If I am ever at a store its with my parents. :P

batista.90

Postby batista.90 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:54 am

im fine anyway but its stressing so i stim after sometimes :? :bounce:

OrangeLily
Disabilities: HFA, Severe Depression, and GAD.

Postby OrangeLily » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:45 pm

I get anxious if it's crowded and people are touching me. Most of the time the aspect of shopping for clothes and books makes all the anxiety worth it, but sometimes I can barely talk by the end because I just want to not be touched anymore.
Field trips and assemblies freak me out more - everybody is really wild and it scares me :embarrassed:

alin0s
Site Admin

Postby alin0s » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:51 pm

OrangeLily wrote:I get anxious if it's crowded and people are touching me. Most of the time the aspect of shopping for clothes and books makes all the anxiety worth it, but sometimes I can barely talk by the end because I just want to not be touched anymore.
Field trips and assemblies freak me out more - everybody is really wild and it scares me :embarrassed:

Field trips and assemblies, two things that make school even more worthless than it is to begin with!

RCM

Postby RCM » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:29 pm

alin0s wrote:
OrangeLily wrote:I get anxious if it's crowded and people are touching me. Most of the time the aspect of shopping for clothes and books makes all the anxiety worth it, but sometimes I can barely talk by the end because I just want to not be touched anymore.

Field trips and assemblies, two things that make school even more worthless than it is to begin with!

I agree! I hated HS too many people were starting trouble with me! :wall:

deathchibi

Postby deathchibi » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:26 pm

batista.90 wrote:anyone else ever feeling anxious in malls? :|

i cant go alone. :shaking:

and my school cafetiria line is horrible

LostInEmulation
Disabilities: Impaired vision, Asperger syndrome

Postby LostInEmulation » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:27 pm

I hate malls! I get anxious around too many people!
It's gonna be the future soon / and I won't always be this way / when the things that make me weak / and strange get engineered away (Jonathan Coulton - The Future Soon)

Return to “Autism and Aspergers Syndrome”