Happier knowing your disability or happier not knowing?

Talk about anything that has at least something to do with disabilities and disabled life. Other unrelated discussion belongs in the Random Discussion forum
age1600
Disabilities: Classic Autism

Tourettes

And...

...so much more that the world has labelled me with but its not going to stop me from living life to the fullest heheh :)

Happier knowing your disability or happier not knowing?

Postby age1600 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:56 pm

ARe you happier knowing whats wrong with you, or happier just going on with life not knowing?

I think i'm happier knowing, so i can explain to ppl if they ask hehe :P .
Ticing, stimming, chica from da jersey shore!

The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of them all- Mulan :)

alin0s
Site Admin
Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Re: Happier knowing your disability or happier not knowing?

Postby alin0s » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:25 pm

age1600 wrote:ARe you happier knowing whats wrong with you, or happier just going on with life not knowing?

I think i'm happier knowing, so i can explain to ppl if they ask hehe :P .

I am much happier knowing what my disabilities and conditions are. I like being able to explain it to people. I would be pretty damn depressed if I were not able to know what is wrong.
check out my website at http://www.alinssite.info

SidTheLoveRat
Disabilities: Aspergers
Location: Out in the evenings, with me two best rat mates. :O)

Postby SidTheLoveRat » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:00 am

I'm happy to know what my disabilities and challenges are. I think that I'd be very depressed, if I didn't know.
Sid :O)

eScential
Disabilities: Asperger's Autism

Postby eScential » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:33 am

I would rather know and not have it change depending on the power person's whim. Realize change can happen, but how do I get not autistic? Where did my life disappear to? I am feeling very angry, sorry. I know and if no one else does I do. I don't want to explain to any one ever again especially a "professional"
KarmanElektrik
ASD

alin0s
Site Admin
Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Postby alin0s » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:27 am

eScential wrote:I would rather know and not have it change depending on the power person's whim. Realize change can happen, but how do I get not autistic? Where did my life disappear to? I am feeling very angry, sorry. I know and if no one else does I do. I don't want to explain to any one ever again especially a "professional"

So called "Professionals" just annoy me. And we have for a while told my doctors and psychologist/psychiatrists that we do not want my autism recognized as a medical condition by them by any criteria. Due to legal compliance laws they had to comply, period.

beau
Disabilities: Obsessive-compulsive disorder
Autism (more than likely Asperger's)

Postby beau » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:49 pm

Happier knowing, definitely.

For many years I was like this and I didn't know why.
http://thoughtsofanautistic.blogspot.com - updated January 25, 2008

21-year-old obsessive-compulsive high-functioning verbal autistic.

And happy about it.

LostInSpace

Postby LostInSpace » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:48 pm

I'm happier knowing just for myself (and my family), but no one knows what NLD or topographic agnosia are anyway, so it doesn't help when people ask me why I can't do some of the things they expect an apparently normal 23 year old to be able to do (like drive myself to the dentist without massive preparation). People tell me "Oh, I have a bad sense of direction, too." I feel like saying, "If you met someone with aphasia, would you tell them that you also have word-finding difficulties?" It's inappropriate to compare two situations where the difference in magnitude of impairment is so great. Since I don't feel like getting into it though, I usually just say, "No, you don't understand. I *really* have a bad sense of direction. If you just give me the address, I will be able to use my GPS. It may be 'easy to get to', but trust me, I will get lost without my GPS."

RCM

Postby RCM » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:56 pm

I'm happier knowing what all my disabilities are, so that way if someone asks me what they are I can tell them!
Plus it would drive me nuts thinking I wasn't disabled :wall:

OrangeLily
Disabilities: HFA, Severe Depression, and GAD.

Postby OrangeLily » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:10 pm

I've always known, and it helps me understand some of the stuff that I do
It gets to be an excuse sometimes, so I have to remind myself that I'm not special because of my disorder :embarrassed:

RCM

Postby RCM » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:11 pm

OrangeLily wrote:I've always known, and it helps me understand some of the stuff that I do
It gets to be an excuse sometimes, so I have to remind myself that I'm not special because of my disorder :embarrassed:

Aww don't say that, you're special in your own way!

~RCM

harvester52
Site Admin
Disabilities: Asperger's Syndrome, Gender Dysphoria, Severe Dysmorphia, Premie Tendons, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Postural Kyphosis, Osteoarthritis, Asthma

Postby harvester52 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:30 am

For me, this goes both ways.

I like knowing what's wrong with me. When I'm sick, I like to know exactly what kind of sickness it is. The same goes for my disabilities.

However, I'm also a very spiritual person. I believe that I am Otherkin, meaning that I have a non-human soul, and I attribute many of my quirks and things that make me 'autistic' to this. In that case, I sometimes wish I never was diagnosed with AS because then people wouldn't discount my feelings of being non-human by saying, "Bah, it's just because you're autistic."

alin0s
Site Admin

Postby alin0s » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:47 am

harvester52 wrote:For me, this goes both ways.

I like knowing what's wrong with me. When I'm sick, I like to know exactly what kind of sickness it is. The same goes for my disabilities.

However, I'm also a very spiritual person. I believe that I am Otherkin, meaning that I have a non-human soul, and I attribute many of my quirks and things that make me 'autistic' to this. In that case, I sometimes wish I never was diagnosed with AS because then people wouldn't discount my feelings of being non-human by saying, "Bah, it's just because you're autistic."

No, I understand your feelings.

To explain to other board members. harvester52 here was a combine harvester in his life before this one. He believes that he is meant to be a combine harvester in this life but was put in the wrong body.

OrangeLily
Disabilities: HFA, Severe Depression, and GAD.

Postby OrangeLily » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:05 am

:wall: I keep on thinking there's more disorders...something else to describe how freaking messed up I am. (Logically there isn't though...no more symptoms)

eScential
Disabilities: Asperger's Autism

Postby eScential » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:21 pm

harvester52 wrote:. . .
In that case, I sometimes wish I never was diagnosed with AS because then people wouldn't discount my feelings of being non-human by saying, "Bah, it's just because you're autistic."

At least you were not labeled with a more noxious (ie forced drugging) label like schizophrenic. :huh:
I know what I have but other Doctor decided to rewrite my life and though I changed doctors, she is still controlling my case and preventing me from even self-care like classes or other gatherings. She kept me out of 'pain management' classes or any others by saying I cannot function in a group for safety of the others. I got arrested for going to a job club, spiritual group, enrolling in college and gettting disoriented in the airport etc. Alway results in injuries and powerful drugs I am allergic to or react badly to. Even asking for bus route information is a crime. I think she is trying to kill me, program me to kill myself or build some kind of case for destroying my life I have not conceived of yet. :flush:
KarmanElektrik

ASD

alin0s
Site Admin

Postby alin0s » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:25 pm

eScential wrote:
harvester52 wrote:. . .
In that case, I sometimes wish I never was diagnosed with AS because then people wouldn't discount my feelings of being non-human by saying, "Bah, it's just because you're autistic."

At least you were not labeled with a more noxious (ie forced drugging) label like schizophrenic. :huh:
I know what I have but other Doctor decided to rewrite my life and though I changed doctors, she is still controlling my case and preventing me from even self-care like classes or other gatherings. She kept me out of 'pain management' classes or any others by saying I cannot function in a group for safety of the others. I got arrested for going to a job club, spiritual group, enrolling in college and gettting disoriented in the airport etc. Alway results in injuries and powerful drugs I am allergic to or react badly to. Even asking for bus route information is a crime. I think she is trying to kill me, program me to kill myself or build some kind of case for destroying my life I have not conceived of yet. :flush:

Call a medical malpractice lawyer IMMEDIATELY! This is a CRITICAL situation that you are in! Easily a federal crime. Please use findlaw.com to contact a lawyer! That doctor CANNOT get involved between you and your lawyer. And the lawyer can subpoena the doctor and get a court order requiring you to go to a different doctor!

This is NOT a safe situation you are in. Please take legal action IMMEDIATELY!

This post IS designed to be taken as legal advice! (Unlike most of my posts which are not designed as legal advice.)

Return to “General Disability Discussion”