How do you feel about your disabilities?

Talk about anything that has at least something to do with disabilities and disabled life. Other unrelated discussion belongs in the Random Discussion forum
OrangeLily
Disabilities: HFA, Severe Depression, and GAD.

Re: How do you feel about your disabilities?

Postby OrangeLily » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:59 am

I have to say most days I really appreciate my Autism. It's done so much for my life - though it's made it harder, it's also made it more interesting and more rewarding.
However I hate my GAD and Depression...they have done nothing but hinder everything I have going for me :evil:

alin0s
Site Admin
Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Postby alin0s » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:30 am

OrangeLily wrote:I have to say most days I really appreciate my Autism. It's done so much for my life - though it's made it harder, it's also made it more interesting and more rewarding.
However I hate my GAD and Depression...they have done nothing but hinder everything I have going for me :evil:

Autism is meant to be an advantage'ability it does not produce huge disabling effects in his higher functioning forms. LFA has advantages but for the most part is severely disabling.

GAD and Depression are bullsh#t, they shouldn't exist on earth. Whoever created genetics and the brain needs to issue a software update. :xD:
check out my website at http://www.alinssite.info

RCM

Postby RCM » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:45 pm

alin0s wrote:
OrangeLily wrote:I have to say most days I really appreciate my Autism. It's done so much for my life - though it's made it harder, it's also made it more interesting and more rewarding.

Autism is meant to be an advantage'ability it does not produce huge disabling effects in his higher functioning forms. LFA has advantages but for the most part is severely disabling.

GAD and Depression are bullsh*t, they shouldn't exist on earth. Whoever created genetics and the brain needs to issue a software update. :xD:

LOL :lolfloor: My disabilities are severely disabling too! :roll:

deathchibi

Postby deathchibi » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:31 pm

i like MOST of mine but have a couple i would rather not have :lmao:

Jaysonlee4

Postby Jaysonlee4 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:30 pm

depends on what day that you ask me lol

Ryn
Disabilities: High Functioning Autism, Sensory Integration Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Social Phobia, Depression, Asthma, Gastrointestinal issues

Postby Ryn » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:53 pm

I couldn't be me without my autism, so I like my autism. The sensory issues are annoying and I feel like I can't connect with people sometimes, but I'd rather have that than be without stimming and intense interests. :D

Candice

Postby Candice » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:41 am

I dont feel very goo about mine at all. Kind of emotional for lots of different reasons. I know with the mental illness or schizo disorder I am just starting to except that and seems to come out when i am stressed and when it does I am a potentially dangerous person.
That is maybe not so much mental illness but the way my personality handles stress.
Like i went to prison a year or two back. I am going to court soon for possess a dangerous weapon and resist arrest and i always get like that when i am not well or thinking straight and i have scars up my wrist for where i and i havnt told anyone but i sat on top of a cliff, look out in hours in the morning in the freezing cold it was raining most of the night and i kind of went hypothermic and nearly lost consciousness and fell but now i am realising what is real and what isnt and so i dont wanna die anymore.
I am joining aspie support group and see a psychologist and a psychiatrist. Whatever i can do to take resposability for my own well being i will do cause its not a nice place to be.

MissConstrue
Disabilities: Seizures, Aspergers, and Major Depression Disorder.

Postby MissConstrue » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:09 am

SidTheLoveRat wrote:I personally embrace my AS, because I see it as a gift. I might not be able to hold down a regular job right now, but that gives me time to perfect another gift, which is my artistic ability. :)

I wanna say yes but in some ways it's hard to only because of my poor social skills and sensativity issues.

I'm just glad I was finally diagnosed with something that really made sense. My whole life I struggled with making friends or getting into relationships or talking to people and I could never figure out why.

I too love getting into my creativity but sometimes I just wish I could get into other things that I'm not into like something profitable...I don't know. Sometimes I think my interests aren't potentially productive.
Oh you can't help that. We're all mad here.
__Cheshire the Cat

pakrat
Disabilities: Asperger's Syndrome, Dysthymia, Avoidant Personality.

Postby pakrat » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:03 am

I'm generally okay with having AS but I do wish people would stop saying "so what are you doing to overcome it?" or "but you've overcome it haven't you?". You don't "overcome" a disability like AS; at best, you work around any disadvantages and capitalise on the advantages your condition confers on you. To overcome it suggests deleting your old personality and replacing it with a totally new one, something that is not only impossible but something we also may find quite insulting, as if we are not good enough unless we meet some kind of stereotype in society.

CelticRose
Disabilities: rheumatoid arthritis

Postby CelticRose » Sun May 24, 2009 3:12 am

pakrat wrote:I'm generally okay with having AS but I do wish people would stop saying "so what are you doing to overcome it?" or "but you've overcome it haven't you?". You don't "overcome" a disability like AS; at best, you work around any disadvantages and capitalise on the advantages your condition confers on you. To overcome it suggests deleting your old personality and replacing it with a totally new one, something that is not only impossible but something we also may find quite insulting, as if we are not good enough unless we meet some kind of stereotype in society.

QFT

I wouldn't change my Asperger's for anything -- it's who I am. My AS makes me intelligent and creative. If I didn't have AS and OCPD, I couldn't do my job -- in fact, my supervisors have tried to assign NTs to help me, but they're just not capable of doing the job.

On the other hand, I could live without the meltdowns, shutdowns, constantly checking to see if I've set the alarm, etc.

My rheumatism is just a pain -- literally. However, I can predict the weather...
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

Be yourself no matter what they say. - Sting

My blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com/

BelindatheNobody
Disabilities: Officially dxed with:
Asperger's Syndrome
Social Anxiety
Clinical Depression
Myopia/Near-sighted/Short-sighted
Hypoglycemia/Low blood sugar

Suspect:
A different ASD label
Some degree of Dyscalculia

Postby BelindatheNobody » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:24 pm

Hmm.
I like my ASD/asperger's/whatever-label. Would never cure that.
I have a weird love/hate relationship with my depression. I want to get rid of it but I don't. Heh.
I'm pretty apathetic when it comes to my social anxiety. Even though it gets in my way a lot, I don't really care about it one way or the other.
I don't like being near-sighted; were there a risk-free cure to that, I admit I would most likely take it.
I don't even notice my hypoglycemia most of the time... I don't like how it affects me when I don't get enough sugar in me, but... eh... sort of apathetic towards that one too, really.

My suspected dyscalculia, I dunno if I'm dyscalculic, but my math really isn't that great one way or the other. I don't really care as I'm not into math, but it can get annoying from time to time.
{Nobody once upon an eternity.}

"I lay, looking at my hands. I search in these lines. I've not the answer."
"I'm free, free to be. I'm not another liar. I just want to be myself... myself."
- Lacuna Coil, "Falling Again".

pakrat
Disabilities: Asperger's Syndrome, Dysthymia, Avoidant Personality.

Postby pakrat » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:14 am

The depression and anxiety make my Asperger's harder to deal with by sucking up so much energy, but unfortunately I can see I can never overcome them only live with them. There are lots of people worse off than me so I have to count my blessings.

Sartresue
Disabilities: CAPD, Dyspraxia, AS

Postby Sartresue » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:05 pm

Just how do those disabilities feel? topic

They are a part of me, and I them, for the past 54+ years.

We have been through a lot together. We are on good speaking/feeling terms. :boogie:

At this stage, I would not trade any of it. I could never imagine myself as an NT, and i would therefore be alienated.

Of course, others have different ideas.

Calico
Disabilities: Diagnosed with autism in my early childhood and then it was turned to "autistic behavior" due to having hearing loss.

Diagnosed with ADD and dyspraxia and Sensory Integration(sp) Dysfunction when I was a kid

Diagnosed with anxiety and depression along with Aspergers in 6th grade.

I also have a learning disability and cognitive problems.

Postby Calico » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:59 am

I don't like having anxiety nor a learning disability. I feel those are my road blocks and hold me back in life.

My AS, I'm nuertal about it. I used to hate having it and then loved having it and now I don't care. There are parts I like about it but my husband doesn't see it as a gift for me because he thinks it impairs me. I still wouldn't cure it if there was one. But I would cure my other two problems.
There's no crying in baseball
Take me home mama and put me to bed

Return to “General Disability Discussion”