Aiding The Disabled: No Pity, Please

Talk about anything that has at least something to do with disabilities and disabled life. Other unrelated discussion belongs in the Random Discussion forum
CelticRose
Disabilities: rheumatoid arthritis

Aiding The Disabled: No Pity, Please

Postby CelticRose » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:22 am

This article is 20 years old, but unfortunately still relevant.

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/09/03/opinion/aiding-the-disabled-no-pity-please.html
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

Be yourself no matter what they say. - Sting

My blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com/

alin0s
Site Admin
Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Re: Aiding The Disabled: No Pity, Please

Postby alin0s » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:36 am

This is one reason that even if I do end up diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy that I will take the MDA checks, but I will not be participating in their events or telethon, I am not a child to anyone. I am myself and I can run my own life thank you.

I only read the first paragraph of the article to get the jist of it. As you can see news papers lose my attention quickly. :bounce: :lmao:
check out my website at http://www.alinssite.info

pigeon309
Disabilities: Asperger's Syndrome

Postby pigeon309 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:34 pm

Absolutely. This article makes an extremely valid point. I can't count the number of times I have been patronised because of my disability, or seen this happen to someone else. However, I dislike the phrase "it intensifies the awkward embarassment that the able-bodied feel around disabled people". My reasoning is that being "able-bodied" is clearly not opposite to being "disabled". It is possible to be both, and statements such asthe above encourage a state of mind I have noticed in which some people hear the word "disabled", and simply think of a person in a wheelchair. My dad has called up for help with money, and upon stating that he is now registered as disabled, he was asked, "can't you get someone to wheel you down to the bank?" He is diabetic and bipolar. :?
I'm abnormal, just like everyone else.

CelticRose
Disabilities: rheumatoid arthritis

Postby CelticRose » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:05 pm

pigeon309 wrote:Absolutely. This article makes an extremely valid point. I can't count the number of times I have been patronised because of my disability, or seen this happen to someone else. However, I dislike the phrase "it intensifies the awkward embarassment that the able-bodied feel around disabled people". My reasoning is that being "able-bodied" is clearly not opposite to being "disabled". It is possible to be both, and statements such asthe above encourage a state of mind I have noticed in which some people hear the word "disabled", and simply think of a person in a wheelchair. My dad has called up for help with money, and upon stating that he is now registered as disabled, he was asked, "can't you get someone to wheel you down to the bank?" He is diabetic and bipolar. :?

Very good point.

Also, someone doesn't have to be physically disabled for people to feel awkward around them.
Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter & those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

Be yourself no matter what they say. - Sting

My blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com/

Return to “General Disability Discussion”