G-tubes

Talk about anything that has at least something to do with disabilities and disabled life. Other unrelated discussion belongs in the Random Discussion forum
Stimluvr
Deceased
Disabilities: PDD-NOS, Bipolar, Cerebellar Hypoplasia, Seizures

G-tubes

Postby Stimluvr » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:19 pm

None of the dr's will give me a straight answer, what is life really like with g-tubes? Im clear on the insertion/replacement procedure, but what about day to day living? Any tips/advise, I get mine fitted end of next week so yeah pretty scared tbh :?

RCM

Re: G-tubes

Postby RCM » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:10 pm

Why do you need a g-tube exactly?

alin0s
Site Admin
Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Postby alin0s » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:51 pm

RCM wrote:Why do you need a g-tube exactly?

Bluaspie will answer that question if he feels like releasing such information.

I Have had a G-Tube since February 29th of this year. I had to get mine due to my failing swallowing control / function and also my extremely low weight. Living with a G-Tube is fairly easy once you get used to it.

Initial insertion depending on your condition is done either endoscopically and in some cases laparoscopically, in both cases the average stay in the hospital is a day or two. If you have a complex medical condition the stay can easily multiply. I was in for six days when the estimated stay ways one to two days.

Based on my insertion surgery.

If you have not already chosen a tube between low profile and regular G-Tube, then your doctor may have chosen for you or you will choose a tube in the Pre-Op area.

Low Profile

Low profile tubes sit snugly against the skin, easy to hide, but are not right for all conditions.

Old Style - Catheter type

Not right for all cases, the old catheter type is required for certain patients, difficult to hide, usually uncomfortable.

I have a Low Profile tube in me.

Once inserted you will have pain for about two weeks. Coughing and sneezing will be painful. Rolling side to side may be painful. You will be given pain killers to take home.

Feeding via a G-Tube is usually done using an electronic pump or three times daily with a syringe, or less using syringes depending on whether the G-Tube is completely replacing oral diet or is supplementing it.

There are G-Tube feeding formula's that must be used, you should NOT put blended table food through a G-Tube, as it will clog and need replacement.

G-Tube replacement is done in your doctor's office, it is painful when they pull it out and shove the new one in, there may be a small amount of blood. The pain lasts for about an hour or two after the procedure, if needed you may take OTC painkiller.

Cleaning your G-Tube surgical site twice daily is very important to prevent infection.

Pour into a medicine measuring cup half hydrogen peroxide (20ml) and half water (20ml) then using a sterile cotton swab gently wash the G-Tube site. Then "wrinse" with a sterile cotton swab containing pure water. Follow surgeon's instructions for dressing, most G-Tube sites only require cleaning after the first two weeks.

You may swim with your G-Tube and do anything as normal. Be careful not to get the G-Tube caught in any objects as it could be pulled out, pulling a G-Tube out with the balloon inflated can lead to severe stomach wall injury and constitutes a surgical emergency require immediate emergency room attention. This risk is much greater with the long catheter type G-Tubes

IF A QUESTION YOU HAVE IS NOT ANSWERED ABOVE PLEASE ASK IT!
check out my website at http://www.alinssite.info

Stimluvr
Deceased

Postby Stimluvr » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:10 am

BAsically over the past year or so I have lost just under half my body weight, 140 pounds to just under 70, I wont say 67 on principle because 70 sounds better. :P
My dr sent me into hospital on a ng-tube :eww: and surprise surprise as soon as I left hospital all the weight I had put on was gone within a few days. What really tics me off is that I told them that I reckoned that would happen, they did'nt believe me, now they do, I think. I mean seriously how hard is it to work out that if someone is only drinking miniscule (small) amounts of liquid then they are liable to lose weight?

BTW I cant eat "normally" anymore as im unable to swallow virtually anything. And no the dr's have NO idea what is wrong with me. Once I get back upto a sensible weight I intend to argue untill im blu in the face until they do something to find out.

Alin0s thanks for the info if I think of anything else il ask you :huggles:

alin0s
Site Admin
Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Postby alin0s » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:14 pm

bluaspie wrote:BAsically over the past year or so I have lost just under half my body weight, 140 pounds to just under 70, I wont say 67 on principle because 70 sounds better. :P
My dr sent me into hospital on a ng-tube :eww: and surprise surprise as soon as I left hospital all the weight I had put on was gone within a few days. What really tics me off is that I told them that I reckoned that would happen, they did'nt believe me, now they do, I think. I mean seriously how hard is it to work out that if someone is only drinking miniscule (small) amounts of liquid then they are liable to lose weight?

BTW I cant eat "normally" anymore as im unable to swallow virtually anything. And no the dr's have NO idea what is wrong with me. Once I get back upto a sensible weight I intend to argue untill im blu in the face until they do something to find out.

Alin0s thanks for the info if I think of anything else il ask you :huggles:

ok, you definitely need to get a G-Tube. In your case it will be complete nutritional replacement. Therefore you will likely feed overnight with an electronic pump while you sleep.

Stimluvr
Deceased

Postby Stimluvr » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:11 pm

Update...I got my G-Tube or iTube as I call it. Anyquestions il reply to them.

alin0s
Site Admin

Postby alin0s » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:20 pm

bluaspie wrote:Update...I got my G-Tube or iTube as I call it. Anyquestions il reply to them.

How are you currently feeding. Pump or syringes?

Stimluvr
Deceased

Postby Stimluvr » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:29 pm

Bolus is out because of my terrible memory lol. So iPump overnight.

alin0s
Site Admin

Postby alin0s » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:30 pm

bluaspie wrote:Bolus is out because of my terrible memory lol. So iPump overnight.

Bolus is out for me because I cannot take that much fluid at once. It's too dense for me to take in bolus.

Return to “General Disability Discussion”