My horrible motor skills!

Talk about anything that has at least something to do with disabilities and disabled life. Other unrelated discussion belongs in the Random Discussion forum

My horrible motor skills!

Postby RCM » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:20 pm

In case anyone here doesn't know, I have HORRIBLE motor skills! I can't write, and my hand turns in towards me when I hold something, today, my supervisor asked me why my hands turn towards me when I hold something? I said it's because of my Autism, I have very poor motor skills, and horrible muscle control in some areas, like my legs! So I walk funny! My supervisor said, really?! I thought you had ADD!! :( I hate when people don't know about me!
RCM

Re: My horrible motor skills!

Postby alin0s » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:16 pm

Tell your supervisor that I think she is a jerk! I hope she gave you a hug after that!

You say its your Autism? I don't think so. Autism can sometimes affect motor control in limited ways. Your motor skill absence is your Arnold Chari Malformation. And probably the lack of any good 4 Pole motors. (powerchair joke)
check out my website at http://www.alinssite.info
alin0s
Site Admin

Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Postby RCM » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:18 pm

alin0s wrote:Tell your supervisor that I think she is a jerk! I hope she gave you a hug after that!

You say its your Autism? I don't think so. Autism can sometimes affect motor control in limited ways. Your motor skill absence is your Arnold Chari Malformation. And probably the lack of any good 4 Pole motors. (powerchair joke)

You and me are probably the only ones that would laugh at a joke as bad as that :lolfloor: and thanks for the info! I thought the motor skill problem in my hands was from the Autism!! and so did my mom!!
RCM

Postby alin0s » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:25 pm

Autism is fairly limited in the effects it can produce. It CANNOT produce contractures. And it RARELY creates the "CP wrist" movement that you describe.
alin0s
Site Admin

Disabilities: Cerebral Palsy, Rett Syndrome, Classic Autism High Functioning, Sensory Integration/Processing Disorder, Dyspraxic Spasticity, Severe Spasticity, Scheurmann's kyphosis, Scoliosis, Rotoscoliosis, Hip rotation, Leg length discrepancy, Severely hypotonic trunk/arms/neck, Hypertonic legs & hips, Intractible Epilepsy, Intractible Pain Disorder, Communication Disabilities

Postby RCM » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:55 pm

The horrible motor skills my mom blames on my Autism but I don't think so!
RCM

Postby harvester52 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:35 am

I have really bad motor skills (and I know Alin is going to make a joke about that one) but I have a terrible time handwriting, I walk funny, and I have swan neck deformity in my fingers. If you don't know what that is, a lot of people with CP have it, it's where the middle joint of your finger hyperextends because the tendons are stretched, resulting in the top joint to bend down so your finger bends like a Z.

The motor skills thing is made worse by my dysmorphia because my brain often doesn't know how to operate my hands. Sometimes, I'll go to grab something, and I'll stall and stare at it for a moment as if to try to figure out how to pick it up, as if the thought process required to use a hand disappears and the closest one I have is the one to use my header to move sh#t. That gets really annoying... it happened so bad once that I couldn't walk and I was stuck in my friend's yard until my brain decided to function with my physical body. :?
harvester52
Site Admin

Disabilities: Asperger's Syndrome, Gender Dysphoria, Severe Dysmorphia, Premie Tendons, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Postural Kyphosis, Osteoarthritis, Asthma

Postby RCM » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:23 am

I've had that before! Where I couldn't stand up at all and was stuck laying in bed for a while!
RCM

Postby alin0s » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:02 pm

harvester52 wrote:I have really bad motor skills (and I know Alin is going to make a joke about that one) but I have a terrible time handwriting, I walk funny, and I have swan neck deformity in my fingers. If you don't know what that is, a lot of people with CP have it, it's where the middle joint of your finger hyperextends because the tendons are stretched, resulting in the top joint to bend down so your finger bends like a Z.

The motor skills thing is made worse by my dysmorphia because my brain often doesn't know how to operate my hands. Sometimes, I'll go to grab something, and I'll stall and stare at it for a moment as if to try to figure out how to pick it up, as if the thought process required to use a hand disappears and the closest one I have is the one to use my header to move sh*t. That gets really annoying... it happened so bad once that I couldn't walk and I was stuck in my friend's yard until my brain decided to function with my physical body. :?

One compound word for you.

Powerchair.

And you can attach a header to it so you can at least have some combine'ness. :D
alin0s
Site Admin

Postby SidTheLoveRat » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:34 pm

My fine motor skills are so bad, that the only type of knitting that I can do, is French knitting through a corking spool. I don't mind. I just need to find some creative ideas. :flush:
Sid :O)
SidTheLoveRat

Location: Out in the evenings, with me two best rat mates. :O)
Disabilities: Aspergers

Postby RCM » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:24 pm

I even walk with an improper gait! that's how bad my motor skills are!
RCM

Postby harvester52 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:20 am

If you saw me walk, you'd think I was the son of Sasquatch. I walk like a big neanderthal with screwed up knees, and I trip over air molecules.
harvester52
Site Admin

Disabilities: Asperger's Syndrome, Gender Dysphoria, Severe Dysmorphia, Premie Tendons, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Postural Kyphosis, Osteoarthritis, Asthma

Postby RCM » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:50 am

I walk with my knees bent a little, and my foot turned in, I might make a video and put it up here to show you just how bad mine is!
RCM

Postby Sartresue » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:44 pm

The motor needs a tuneup topic

My fine motor skills are much better since i am doing more keyboarding, but the grows motor stuff is really, well, gross! :funnypost:

I have just been tested on the fast writing stuff and i was told i was fine, above average, but because i get distracted so easily, some of the better skills (like operating machinery) are slower in developing (at my age!?). :bounce:
Sartresue

Disabilities: CAPD, Dyspraxia, AS

Postby Jaysonlee4 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:04 pm

I dont understand my motor skills...they are crap with one exception...I can play guitar better than most professionals...lol ask me to walk and your in for a laugh. As for handwriting...ha forget it.
Jaysonlee4

Postby deathchibi » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:28 pm

both my gross motor skills and fine motor skills are the stuff of nightmares. :lmao:
and to top it off i dont pay much attention to where im walking so i walk into alot of things :flush:
deathchibi

Return to General Disability Discussion